Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Rescue Me was it rape? scene


I was excited to finally watch this episode of the show and see this scene. It wasn't quite what I had expected thinking back to my previous thoughts. The violence really caught my attention. There's a lot of "buts..." and "what if's" but I think my overall conclusion and opinion is that it was not rape. It draws a lot of fine lines about rape. What exactly is defined as rape and is it the same in all circumstances? There are different kinds of rape. There is violent rape and then there is also rape that is conscentual sex and only defined as rape because of the age of the participants.

Did Janet want it? I don't think it was on her mind as soon as it was on Tommy's, but I think once she realized that that is what he wanted she liked the fact that he wanted her bad enough to do that. It's part of their relationship, a factor I don't think many people who talked in some of the articles realized who viewed this scene as rape.

From the first shove and the first hand Tommy laid on Janet I think anyone in her position would be caught off guard, confused, and defensive. However, once she realized he meant it in a more playful, vicious sort of sexual manner, she played along too. She definitely got pleasure out of the experience, but I don't think that alone is a fair argument to why it wasn't really rape. Not all situations like that are the same. Even if someone doesn't want the sex and loudly vocalizes that fact, they could still feel pleasure but this could still be rape. Janet didn't ever say "no stop" she just asked what he was doing. I think the fact that she stopped pushing him off and acting like she was rejecting him (which was only when he was being violent) is a sign that she wanted it as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment