Sunday, December 5, 2010

Rescue Me, rape me

I think it is very hard to pin this scene down (*pun*) to rape or violent sex. As stated in class on Monday, I feel that the scene shown in Rescue Me was a rape scene.
Why do I feel this way?:

  • Janet said "what are you doing?" and "get off me!"
  • Janet kicked and tried to fight Tommy off her
  • Janet did not say "okay let's do this!"
Yes, this could display violent sex, but I don't think so. Janet stopped fighting Tommy off and let him rape her. I think she felt helpless after only giving Tommy a bloody nose and not being able to do much more. If Tommy jumped on top of Janet, kissed her, and she didn't fight back, then I would think it was violent sex. I think Grace and I share the same view that just because your body may feel physical pleasure from sex, it can still be rape. This scene demonstrates that when most rape occurs, it isn't done by a stranger, but by someone you know and possibly love.

No comments:

Post a Comment